Saturday, June 22, 2019

GINGER SNAPS

Ginger Snaps Movie Review

A mysterious creature is terrorizing a small Canadian town, and when sisters Ginger (Katharine Isabelle, Freddy Vs. Jason) and Brigitte (Emily Perkins), two weirdos obsessed with death, come across it, their lives become much more interesting. This early 21st Century werewolf film is one that has divided horror fans since its release--I have known many people who love it, many who hate it, and sprinkled in here and there are those who think it's just okay. Furthering this gap is most of the guys I know dislike it, and the majority of the fans I have come across have been women. If you find this odd, you've probably never seen this movie--I'll just say a lot of this film has to do with something about women that most men cringe to think or talk about, and that not all the blood we see is from bites. Fellas, if this is your hangup with this movie, I encourage you to get past it--I even dare you to try to put yourself in the shoes of these girls and imagine how horrifying everything in this movie must have been for them.

"We'll let this one live"

Now that we have that out of the way, I'll say I have always been a casual fan of this film--it's not what I would consider one of my all-time favorites, but it is one that I have watched several times. Isabelle is wicked as Ginger, and Perkins is almost as good as Brigitte, the more shy, awkward sister. There's a decent supporting cast here too, including Kris Lemche of Final Destination 3 fame, and Mimi Rogers, who sort of steals the show as the mother of the sisters. The bloodshed is plenty, and you have to love that the director skipped CGI and made the werewolves the old-fashioned way. There's also more than a fair amount of dark comedy in this movie--at times this adds to the charm of the film, but more often it just distracts from it. The movie does run a bit long, and while the ending is built up wonderfully, it doesn't quite pack the punch you are expecting. Still, with so many bad werewolf movies out there, you could do a lot worse than Ginger Snaps.

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 7


Ginger Snaps Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment