Friday, June 28, 2019

SCARECROW (2013)

Scarecrow Movie Review

A teacher takes students to clean up a farm and to restore a scarecrow for an upcoming festival, but what they don't know is this scarecrow is not only alive, but hungry for blood. The first thing you may find unusual about this movie is that students serving detention are taken away from the school to serve out their punishment--back in my day, we were stuck in a dark, silent room for an hour or so. I would have loved to have gone on a field trip for punishment. Beyond that, you notice the students are rather interchangeable, except the two "bad" kids, who look more like they would keep to themselves than bully others.

Does he look like he could scare ANYBODY?

I picked this movie out on Tubi because I love scarecrows and movies about them, and as things moved along, I thought to myself "This looks like a SyFy movie"--after the film was over, I looked it up and sure enough, this is a 2013 SyFy Original. In reality, my suspicions were pretty much verified the moment I saw the scarecrow. 

If he only had a brain

As SyFy movies go, the CGI of the scarecrow really isn't too bad, but that doesn't mean it borders on being good either. We eventually find out the scarecrow was buried to stop it from killing Kristen's (Lacey Chabert, Mean Girls) family, and it ultimately is after her--while no points are given for plot originality, I do admit the acting, for a SyFy film, wasn't too bad--as is the case with the CGI, however, that doesn't mean we get anything amazing either.

"I WILL make fetch happen!"

The death scenes are not great and many happen off camera, but some of the visuals of the results are impressive. The ending is rather anti-climatic and predictable, but after making it to that point, you don't really expect much else. Scarecrow is not a movie I would recommend hunting down to watch, but should you decide to, you will, at least, be mildly entertained.

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 5



Scarecrow Movie Trailer

1 comment:

  1. Oh I dunno, I thought the movie to be rather good, and the scarecrow pretty good. it's certainly better than much of what passes for low budget horror. The pacing is good, the acting is good, the stars are recognizable from other genre fare, and we don't have to wait until the end to see the monster. Certainly this is a movie that's better than average. One of the better scarecrow monster movies out there.

    ReplyDelete