Sunday, August 25, 2019

STIR OF ECHOES 2: THE HOMECOMING

Stir of Echoes 2: The Homecoming Movie Review

Ted Cogan (fellow Cincinnati Reds fan Rob Lowe, The Outsiders. Wayne's World) returns home from war and is haunted by visions of the dead. This is the 2007 SyFy Original sequel to 1999's Stir of Echoes, (which I tragically have yet to review here) and it has little in way of connection to the original film. At the start of August I went back home to Ohio to visit my Mom, and she insisted on watching this one, thus continuing what seems to be our tradition of seeing each other once a year and watching a Rob Lowe horror flick each time (this tradition started last year when I visited and we watched another made for television film starring the former greaser). Speaking of my Mom and Stir Of Echoes--one reason I have not watched the original film in so long is because a number of years ago my Mom, thinking my girlfriend had already seen the movie, talked about the ending of Stir of Echoes and spoiled it for her--she now sees no point in watching the movie.

"If you don't get on with the review already..."

Anyway, having not seen The Homecoming for years, I agreed to watch it with Mom and Sani, assuring my girlfriend she did not have to have seen the original film to understand what is happening in this one. Much like I believed the first time I saw it, the film really is better than it generally gets credit for being. Yes, the movie does start off rough, with very questionable special effects, but bearing in mind this is a SyFy Original, this is to be expected, and frankly, it's not nearly as bad as what we usually get from these films. Lowe is a believable and likable hero, but the remainder of the cast does leave a bit to be desired. There are some genuinely creepy moments in the movie, and a bit more gore than I expected. The film moves at a decent pace, and delivers a pretty unexpected twist near the end. The final sequence is also a memorable one. Is The Homecoming as good as the original Stir of Echoes? No. However, I do find this one to be much better than most believe it to be.

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 7


Stir of Echoes 2: The Homecoming Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment