Wednesday, November 25, 2020

QUARANTINE 2: TERMINAL

Quarantine 2: Terminal Movie Review

Passengers on an airplane fight for survival when one of them contracts a deadly virus, turns into a zombie, and starts getting bitey. This is the followup to the far superior 2008 film Quarantine, itself a remake of the 2007 flick [REC]--that movie also produced sequels, so let's untangle this web before continuing. Quarantine 2 has no connection whatsoever to the the sequels of the Spanish [REC] franchise, and, timeline speaking, is happening at roughly the same time as Quarantine. Early in the movie we see one passenger watching live news coverage of what is happening at the apartment building from Quarantine, and we also get answers to questions nobody asked regarding the virus.  

"You see, it started with..."

Before I get back to the movie, let me address how I watched this one. In case you haven't heard of it, there's this streaming service called Crackle, offered to us, at least in part, by Sony. Let me preface this by saying I remember the days of watching television without the option to fast forward through commercials. I never really complained; rather, I saw these as chances to go refill my water or whatever. VHS and DVD came along, making it easier for the viewer to decide when to take these breaks by simply pausing the movie. Streaming eventually came along, and you could either pay a fee for no commercials, or catch the free services and sit through the occasional commercial...and I was still cool with all of this. These days, I do most of my horror watching on Tubi--it's free, has an awesome selection of movies, and, over the course of a 90 minute film, you might have 3 breaks, each lasting about 2 minutes. I expected something similar from Crackle--loyal reader, know I am not exaggerating when I tell you that while watching this movie on Crackle, the longest I went without a commercial was eight minutes, each break was at least three or four minutes long, and more than once, I got a commercial break within 2 minutes of the previous one. This movie has a run time of 86 minutes--it took over two and a half hours to watch it on Crackle.

"If I see that Geico commercial ONE MORE TIME!"

Back to the movie. We get to know the passengers as they take their seats, and each is more annoying than the one before, reminding me that the people around me is always what I hate most about flying. The plane lands soon after takeoff, and as the title indicates, most of the film takes place at an airport terminal. The characters get no more likable as the movie progresses, and the actors portraying them do nothing to make this any better. The movie leaves a lot to be desired visually, especially when we get the thermal vision shots--if they remind you of a low-rate video game, you're not alone. The optical torture does not stop there, however, as poor use of green screens is repeated several times, especially in the final scene. Don't even get me started on the CGI. We never really expect much out of sequels, but this movie isn't even in the same ballpark as its predecessor. There's just enough blood and guts to get you through this film, but should you decide to check it out, skip doing so on Crackle--spending 86 minutes of your life watching this movie is wasteful enough--spending 150 minutes doing so is borderline criminal. 

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 4

Quarantine 2: Terminal Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment