Friday, March 30, 2018

YOU'RE NEXT

You're Next Movie Review

A wealthy family have a get-together at a remote mansion, but this happy reunion goes south when a group of masked home invaders begin killing them off one by one. This 2013 film was a surprise hit at the box office--I recall seeing it on the big screen with my girlfriend when it was released, and both of us being pleasantly surprised by it, so last night we decided to give it another go. I thought that at some point along the way, I had reviewed this film, but alas, I had not--2013 was a dead time for this site...I'm really not sure why. Did I lose interest? Was I too busy? Was I doing something way more productive with my life?

"Get back on track, or YOU'RE NEXT!"

So we get the quick "get to know the players before they're killed off" bit in the beginning, and this is delivered with a surprising bit of humor, but once the family is finally all together, the chaos is unleashed. This begins with the neighbors, just to get the body count up, I guess. Speaking of body count, it is really high here--that's a good reason to have such a large family gathering. Gore hounds will delight in the amount of bloodshed throughout the film, and, to it's credit, the movie does a wonderful job taking the viewer on a roller coaster ride, with a few twists and turns along the way. The music even stands out as a highlight, particular the song we hear on a continuous loop, and the totally 80's horror nod we get near the end. The acting is even pretty good in this movie--this is surprising in that everybody in the film is a virtual unknown. The main setback in the film is the absolute unlikelihood of what we see from the lead character--it borders on Home Alone at times. The humor in the movie also seems way out of place--while effective in doses, especially in the beginning, it should have been cut short as the horror began. These things aside, You're Next is a really fun horror flick that I enjoy as much as I did the first time I saw it.

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 7


You're Next Movie Trailer



Added bonus, just for you Sani

No comments:

Post a Comment