Saturday, October 15, 2016

MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Maximum Overdrive Movie Review

A comet passes by Earth and, somehow, makes machines turn into...yes...killing machines. Now a group of survivors, including Emilio Estevez (The Breakfast Club, Young Guns), try to ride out the onslaught at a truck stop. I will always remember the first time I saw this movie--my Mom rented it for my 13th birthday and, yellow cake and chocolate milk in hand, I sat down to watch one of the most awesomely awful films ever made. The movie is based on a book written by Stephen King, and is also, to date (and probably will be forever), the only movie King ever directed. If you wonder why King never directed again, well....just watch this movie.


"Ah yes...I see what you mean"

We see everything from soda machines to lawn mowers to a steamroller (my personal favorite) go haywire and kill people before settling on our primary villains: 18 wheelers.

The baddest of the bad guys...not Emilio

So it pretty much goes without saying that a movie with this premise will never be mistaken for an Academy Nominated masterpiece, but the mid 1980s (this one was 1986) were a time when Stephen King was on top of the world, and pretty much everything he wrote became a feature film--the five year span of 1982-1986 alone saw Creepshow, Cujo, The Dead Zone, Christine, Children of the Corn, Firestarter, Cat's Eye, Silver Bullet, Maximum Overdrive, and Stand By Me, all films based on King's writing, hit the big screen. For added measure, rock icons AC/DC were brought in to score the film, and while I am by no stretch a fan of AC/DC, there is something very fitting about their music pairing up with this movie. So we see lots of blood, lots of death scenes, terrible dialogue, and lots of horrible acting--Yeardly Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson), in one of her few film appearances, is especially dreadful as one of the more irritating characters...ever really---you'll want to cry for the poor man who just married her and all the while think to yourself "holy smokes, doing the voice of Lisa Simpson is really just her talking normally". Still, with all that said, I am a fan of Maximum Overdrive. I don't know if it's because I still have the memory of my first viewing and what that meant to me, or because it's just so out there it connects to some particularly odd part of my subconscious, but I usually find myself watching this movie at least once a year. While Maximum Overdrive will never be classified a horror classic, it is certainly in the "So Bad It's Good" hall of fame.

On A Scale Of One To Ten: 7

 
Awesome Maximum Overdrive Television Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment